I opened this blog to keep track a few of my lessons/ideas/etc that spark my interest in education, and to collaborate with fellow teachers. Please feel free to also take a look at my website https://sites.google.com/site/michaelpalagi/ to read a little bit more about me.


I welcome you to comment and share any ideas you may have, advice from others would be very appreciated!


It is mostly a rough journal, so pardon any grammar/spelling mistakes.

We Are Flipping Our Learning! "We Want to be the Teacher!"

My students are heavily motivated to learn more, have really shown evidence of having a growth mindset, and love showing me (and their peers) what they can do.
I have been working on our rubrics and transitioning it to not only can I understand/display what I learned... but can I teach it to someone else?

After doing some research I decided to pho-flip my room. It has been quite an exciting learning process for both my students and myself. Getting it organized has been one of the biggest challenges. I found a lot of great resources but many requite students to have their own emails, and I was looking for something we could easily access at school.

We used to upload to YouTube and would then share on the blog. This worked great for the short term but I wanted something that they could go back to easily. Before diving in I asked the families to stick around after one of our school events to explain my ideas and get some feedback. I love involving my families and the more I know about them, and they know about me the easier things work out. 

They loved the idea, my students who have real difficulties in math can then re-watch videos to help them learn, my new student who is new to English can watch them at home and have his mom help translate, as well as so many more possibilities. The students LOVED being the teacher in class, but I was struggling with finding a way to make it so everyone would get a chance to take their video. Another reason I wanted to ask the parents was looking to see if they could help at home. They would then all have a chance to take a video, especially in a more quite environment. They parents again were super supportive, and asked when they could start!
*This has also been super helpful in connecting with parents and helping them to understand the new way we teach math. They are often so confused on how/why we are doing this, and by now watching the videos everything has really started to come together. 

So after narrowing down some ideas I currently set up a Google Drive folder organized by each chapter and lesson in our Singapore Math text. We try to take at least one video of either a student or myself during our mini lesson, and one or two more in our small group work time. I then upload the videos to the correct folder on Google Drive and add the date(s) they parents and kids know when we did each topic. 

The students are then free to access them at school or on our class devices. They love being the teacher and have seen increase in motivation, student performance, quicker learning, and overall enjoyment of math! 


No comments:

Post a Comment