I opened this blog to keep track a few of my lessons/ideas/etc that spark my interest in education, and to collaborate with fellow teachers. Please feel free to also take a look at my website https://sites.google.com/site/michaelpalagi/ to read a little bit more about me.


I welcome you to comment and share any ideas you may have, advice from others would be very appreciated!


It is mostly a rough journal, so pardon any grammar/spelling mistakes.

Technology in the Classroom - Instagram

Tech in Education.....

How different education has changed since I was in school, and it is AWESOME.

We have a set of computers for the school, which we are able to check out when available which has been an excellent resource thus far. Although I have been wanting to get something more portable, and accessible for my students. Something that could take pictures, and take advantage of the many cool apps that are available. So I brought in my old iPhone 3gs and 4 to the classroom. They are a little old and not quite able to get all the newest apps but it has changed my classroom completely!

Instagram
We currently just have a private class account that my students can only access on the two devices I have in the room, but working on ways to share it with parents as well.

- Documenting
We use the IB PYP curriculum framework and have chosen to really focus on attitudes this year, last year they worked a lot with learner profiles. They have picked it up so fast and love being "attitude catchers!" When they finish their work one of the options is to help document our attitudes. They first ask their friend if they can take their picture, if so they make sure they get a good shot. I gave a limit of 15 seconds to pick out a filter, etc. They then work on writing a comment explaining how they are displaying that attitude.
It has been a HUGE hit! They are really integrating the IB and been a great socio/emotional lesson as well as integrating literacy. They also love going back and reading through what other people are doing.

- Feedback
This year one of my goals was to work on student feedback and them giving/getting feedback from peers. An example where Instagram helped us was during our music lesson. They don't often get to hear themselves play. I do take videos and upload them to YouTube, but it takes a little longer. With Instagram I can take a mini 16sec video or take mini splits of different students, instantly upload it and then display it on the smartboard. We watch it and look at how we did. After watching it we then give ourselves feedback! I take a few mini split videos of them giving tips such as "play the right note, play at the same speed, etc." We then upload that and watch it on the board. After looking at ways we can meet our new goals we take another video of us playing and see our progress!











No comments:

Post a Comment