I opened this blog to keep track a few of my lessons/ideas/etc that spark my interest in education, and to collaborate with fellow teachers. Please feel free to also take a look at my website https://sites.google.com/site/michaelpalagi/ to read a little bit more about me.


I welcome you to comment and share any ideas you may have, advice from others would be very appreciated!


It is mostly a rough journal, so pardon any grammar/spelling mistakes.

The workshop model... My personal thoughts

At my school we are using the Lucy Calkins Readers and Writers workshop units.
So far I have been pretty impressed with the program and have seen a lot of great progress from the students. While there are also a few concerns I have, but we will save that for another post!

Today is about the workshop model. I read a wonderful book Reading With Meaning by Debbie Miller that also talks about the workshop model. Attached is a picture from this text (pg 13)



I am a huge fan of the student taking charge of their own learning and getting to practice skills as much as possible. No one like those classes when they were in school, so lets break away from that tradition. My best math teacher in school ran a workshop model, she taught a few skills and were given time to work by ourselves to test it out, and then given time to complete problems with friends. It may learning fun, and were able to talk out our thinking which made me connect more to the content.

So now on to my classroom!
I love teaching a certain way and then reading a book or going to a PD and have that light bulb moment where you think, "HEY, I kinda do something just like this!" While attending a week long writers workshop and reading through Debbie Millers Reading With Meaning I was able to take my teaching further and fine tune some of these ideas.

The workshop model!

Learning Target
While I am all for sharing a direct learning topic with my students there is a time and place, and sometimes the mystery adds to the lesson. Although for todays lesson lets focus on reading and writing. By making an "I can" or "I will be able to" statement students will know what todays goal is.

The Mini Lesson
By having these mini lessons I am able to develop developmentally appropriate times for my 1st graders and able to keep their attention without much of a struggle. Getting to share these topics with students is always a ton of fun, they are direct and to the point. We pull our resources for the to make a connection, from either a book, posters, or a book a child is currently writing. They always feel so proud when we share their own work!

Read, write, talk plan, confer, edit, revise, collaborate, the list goes on and on! Anything can happen!
As mentioned above I love giving students as much time as possible to "do" their learning, rather than listen to my talk and jabber on. The ideas from the mini lesson are still fresh in their mind and the kids get to relate to their new charts and posters in a meaningful way.
My classroom is not know to be the quietest, and I am not so shy to admit it! If you know me, you know I love to talk. I learn best when I get to share my ideas, and want to make sure I give my students the opportunity to do that. By having this time open they can choose their best way to work where that be alone or with a buddy. It is amazing to see kids find others who learn in similar ways and bounce ideas off of each other.
-edit-
How could I forget... you can't forget a good ol' shoutout! To reinforce the learning target stop occasionally and point out how xyz are showing evidence of their learning. I think I see is people just saying "xyz is using pop words" although you as a teacher can take that to the next level by saying specifically how they used the pop out words, and most importantly how does that make their book more powerful.
Added a mini post expanding on this here 

Conferences - my favorite part
This is the time I get to sit down and really get to know my students, and focus on their individual needs. I have a few listed a few conferences that I do.

Table conferences
These are quick less than a mini checkin's that happen at the table with peers close by. By having these at the table others can also listen in and hear what is going on. So although you are only have a one-on-one you are also able to give a little bit of second hand learning to those nearby

Small group carpet conferences
There are often times a few students have a similar or same goal that needs to be addressed. By have a few come sit with me on the carpet we can take away other distractions and get right down to what needs to be addressed. We talk about it, and by making it open others can hear their peers thinking processes which can then help them connect to their learning.

Mr. Palagi's desk conference
Sometimes when I know a student is feeling a little shy, or even super impressed with the work they are doing it can be fun to have a desk conference. I make the vibe super fun and kids are always excited for one of these conferences. This is where I can connect one on one with students and where they know all the attention is on them.

My new addition to the workshop model! Student led conferences/The expert wall
Click the link above, as I wanted to expand this into its own post since its so fun!

Share
I'll be the first to admit teachers are always tough on time and at times that gets the best of me. When I first started teaching using this specific model I would pass on the share more than I would like to admit. Although after going through research and reading more on reflection I wish I could take back many previous lessons and make sure to have time for "the share."
Now... why do we write books, and why do we read?... To pass on information and share what we have learned! By making sure kids have enough time to share they are able to explain to peers what they did today, and get advice or tips from their friends as well. They are the held accountable for what they did each lesson as well.


Those are my ramblings on the workshop model for today, which led me to two new posts as well!






No comments:

Post a Comment