I opened this blog to keep track a few of my lessons/ideas/etc that spark my interest in education, and to collaborate with fellow teachers. Please feel free to also take a look at my website https://sites.google.com/site/michaelpalagi/ to read a little bit more about me.


I welcome you to comment and share any ideas you may have, advice from others would be very appreciated!


It is mostly a rough journal, so pardon any grammar/spelling mistakes.

The Expert Wall

My new favorite thing I tried this past year is letting students just take control of their learning, but also giving them a chance to teach others something they are an expert at.

Below is a typed of version of what our kids have come up with so far after the first month of school, with new names of course!


I have had moments before where we have kids come up and share what they felt that have mastered. I then began to reflect on my teaching and think how I could then take advantage of this. I was going through by big reading list when coming across this blog post and the 4 stages of learning, which is something had run into before. Although this also took into account what some call the 5th stage of learning, “conscious competence of unconscious competence” or to be put more easily - they can teach what they have learned.
Those students then popped into my mind and thought I love having these conferences with my kids, and I bet they would love to help others as well. This then takes them to a whole new level, and I debated on if this would take away from their writing/working time, but then thought that there are so many skills happening if they run these conferences well that this would benefit them so much in the long run!
So far the kids are doing an amazing job and since this is the first time running this in 1st grade I wanted to make sure it was done right. So before they can get their name on the paper they have to do a practice conference with me so I know they are able to teach it as well, and so far it is working!

I hope to see how this goes over the next few months and then introduce this at one of our staff meetings. It would be great to see how it will work and adapt between different age groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment