I opened this blog to keep track a few of my lessons/ideas/etc that spark my interest in education, and to collaborate with fellow teachers. Please feel free to also take a look at my website https://sites.google.com/site/michaelpalagi/ to read a little bit more about me.


I welcome you to comment and share any ideas you may have, advice from others would be very appreciated!


It is mostly a rough journal, so pardon any grammar/spelling mistakes.

First few weeks of literacy in Kinder

I've joined a new school and have met an amazing group of other K teachers.
During our literacy meeting this afternoon (amongst our Monday yawns haha) we came up with a quick list of what we have been seeing our children do to help build their literacy skills.
Once we had that conversation we brought up the idea of how amazing this list is, and how we are working to bridge the gap between ourselves and our kids parents.
One of our goals this year is to help our parents understand how fundamental play is and how they are still learning to read, although it may look different now than it did when they were kids.
I wanted to share this list to help spark how amazing our students are.

Reading with pictures - I can read the pictures and make a story
Seeing themselves as authors - I can make a book
Read like a writer - I saw how “xyz” used the craft move in a book and I want to try it in my book
When are we done? - Never! Haha :) we are learning that just because I made a book on Monday that I can also work on it during any day of the week, or even several weeks later
Connections to texts and places - I am reading about “xyz” and I already know this...
Know the authors (talk about authors) -  See and notice how authors have similar characters/illustrations/styles/etc
I am the type of reader…. - What do I like to read about
Comic book argument - frames, what makes a comic book, a comic book?
Library - Exploring many types of books
MLC library visits - We get to explore new books in the classroom and in MLC
I can’t read… - While you may not be decoding words yet you can still read words, act out pictures, etc
What is a reader? (Words, pictures, retelling the story) - We do more than read words
Step into the book - Use your imagination to see yourself inside it
Puppet shows - acting out stories
Building imagination - brining ideas from the story into playtime or outside time
Storytelling - Making and telling our own stories
Role Play - Acting out stories
Read alouds - Listening and responding to texts read by the teacher or other students
Songs - Building language and rhythm 
Books that are the songs - Make connections between books and song
Reading name tags - Identifying similar letters and our friends names
Morning message - Reading and following words of our morning content
Print - Environmental print, images, arrows/symbols 
Birthday Schedule - Birthday symbol, reading calendar 
Messages in books - What message is the author sending the reader
Images/Videos Media Literacy - Noticing connections between other types of stories
Audio Books - Listening to stories via CD or the iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment