I opened this blog to keep track a few of my lessons/ideas/etc that spark my interest in education, and to collaborate with fellow teachers. Please feel free to also take a look at my website https://sites.google.com/site/michaelpalagi/ to read a little bit more about me.


I welcome you to comment and share any ideas you may have, advice from others would be very appreciated!


It is mostly a rough journal, so pardon any grammar/spelling mistakes.

Specific Reinforcment... all about the "why"

So I wanted to do a mini post after my fun reflection on the workshop model.

The shoutout - A time when we stop the class for a few seconds to share the learning a student is showing.
Such as: using staircase writing, or adding captions to a text.

I used to do a quick shoutout saying xyz is using pop out words, and a quick raise of hands to see who else has included them in their book as well. This works with almost any quick learning target.

I was reflection on those the other week and thought what can I do to make this more beneficial. I have a 1.5 yr who is starting to talk, and taught pre-k for a few years. I know that "why" stage will come sooner than later!

So I thought... why... why are we learning pop out words? Of course we addressed it in the mini lesson, but if I really wanted my students to use these skills I wanted them to know why they are helpful and show them different ways it can be beneficial.

So when doing these shoutouts I try to make sure I address what specifically they are doing and why it is making their text more exciting/creative/etc. Or why exactly breaking a word apart can make it less intimidating. It ends up taking just a few seconds longer, but feel it is really helping my students.

I have started to see the benefits of this and think because I am addressing specific children and their experience they other kids are better able to connect with the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment